We had a very lively meeting, focused primarily on the upcoming Homebrew Fest and our efforts to support after-school enrichment programs. If you missed the meeting but want to help out with the Homebrew Fest, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. To buy tickets or enter a brew in the competition, go to the Homebrew Fest website at www.sdhomebrewfest.com. Please share the link to your social media outlets!
Minutes from January 2018 Meeting
FOJ Meeting Minutes – 1/31/2018 @ 5:30pm
President Andy Hinds led the meeting. Representatives from the school staff present were Blanca Loya, Erin Leavitt and Emily Merchant.
Treasurer Report – Thao Tran
- FOJ account has total of $63,000. Holiday Program net approximately $3,000. Jogathon net approximately $25,500 ($27,500 raised, including sponsorships, less $2,000 expenses).
- Will still need to pay for Spring programs – Gardening class and Art Reach. Gardening costs approx. $22,000 for academic year. Art Reach costs approx. $12,000 for academic year after 25% discount.
- FOJ sponsored scholarships for some students to attend Legoland event in January.
After School Clubs – Andy, Thao and Ms. Merchant
- Andy, Thao and Ms. Merchant met with McKinley Elementary after school club coordinator to get ideas. McKinley offers 12-15 clubs on their minimum day. Clubs are primarily run by outside vendors. Students are charged a flat fee of $90 for 8-week session. Funds are redistributed as needed for each club. Students can apply for scholarships to pay for clubs, which is funded by their fundraising efforts. They use online registration.
- Jefferson staff reported that there is high demand for clubs for TK – 2nd
- Parents with club ideas/outside vendors who offer after school clubs encouraged to contact Andy Hinds or Emily Merchant.
- Generally agreed that it would be a good idea to survey students to gauge their interest in various types of clubs and to find out what fee amount parents would be willing to pay.
Homebrewfest on 3/10/18 Update – Geena
- Event is 12-4pm on 3/10/18. Tickets $35 and $10 for designated drivers.
- 27 brewers and 10 licensed breweries currently signed up.
- Two food trucks on board – sushi truck and taco truck.
- Parents will make and sell pretzel necklaces at the event ($2-3)
- Parents encouraged to get donation items for the silent auction. Contact Amelia (firstname.lastname@example.org) with this information.
- Marketing will be through West Coaster, posters, media partnership with KFMB and affiliates.
- Discussed that creating FOJ Venmo account would be good for day-of purchases.
- Ted in charge of volunteers. Parents interested in helping should contact FOJ.
Other upcoming events
- February 13 – Fundraiser at Snooze in Hillcrest. Eat there anytime that day and portion of proceeds goes to FOJ
- February 13 – Family Movie Night at Waypoint Public @5:30pm
- March 18 – Paints and Pints at North Park Beer Co. Event for kids and adults. ArtReach-led instruction.
Next meeting will be February 28 @ 5:30pm